...Are they a sensible choice???
We are often asked to explain the difference between “genuine” or “OEM” and “compatible” or “remanufactured” cartridges. The distinction is very important and should be understood when comparing your options.
So what is the difference?
Genuine or OEM cartridges – also known as “original equipment manufacturer” – cartridges are made/distributed by the printer manufacturers.
- Manufacturers often warn that using any other brand of toner may damage your printer and render your warranty void. However, Federal law prohibits this practice.
- Genuine cartridges are always more expensive.
Compatible cartridges – also known as “generic”, “alternative brand”, or “remanufactured” cartridges.
- They are replacements for OEM cartridges.
- They are manufactured by third party companies and sold under different brand names.
- They are a cost-effective alternative.